A man arrested for shooting at an Alabama High School football game played a quarterback at First Coast High

A man arrested Thursday in St. John’s County in connection with a shooting last fall at an Alabama football stadium had previous ties to Northeast Florida, News4JAX has learned.

After reporting that Hezekiah Balfon, 20, had been taken into custody in the St. Augustine area, News4JAX received a tip that he was a quarterback at First Coast High School. By Friday afternoon, News4JAX had managed to confirm he had played at First Coast High for one season.

First Coast High officials say they should not comment on Balfon because he is suspected of an ongoing criminal investigation. But according to school sources who knew Balfon, he moved to Florida in 2019 and attended First Coast High during the fall semester, playing as a backup coordinator for the Bookniers. Sources say he returned to Alabama next semester. They also say he looks like a good kid.


Belfon was summoned shortly before 11:30 a.m. Thursday to St. John County Jail, according to jail records.

He is suspected of the shooting that occurred on Oct. 15 at Ladibles Stadium in Mobile, Alabama – where thousands were gathered at a high school football game, according to the mobile police department.

Police said five people – two adults and three teenagers – suffered gunshot wounds.

Shortly after the shooting, police said a 19-year-old man was arrested on five counts of attempted murder, but they are still looking for Balfon, who has five orders accusing him of attempted murder.

Police later said a 17-year-old man was also arrested in connection with the shooting and charged as an adult with five counts of attempted murder.

Mobile Police Chief Paul Perrin spoke at a press conference on Thursday afternoon. According to him, Balfon has been fleeing for five months and is considered armed and dangerous. Police said she even put Balfon on her wanted list because she felt it posed a threat to public safety. But Perrin said the capture of Belfon in Florida gives the police department a sigh of relief.


“This is a huge victory for the police department and certainly for the community,” Perrin said. “He was a threat to the community, and although we did not catch him here on mobile, if he was a threat here, he was definitely a threat to the community he was in.”

The process has already begun to extradite Balfon back to Alabama.

Copyright 2022 by WJXT News4Jax – All rights reserved.

Leave a Comment