Towers, fl. – Concordia University Irvine Beach volleyball team advanced to the semifinals on Saturday, the last day of the AVCA Small College Championship.
It was a tough day for the Eagles, who took their hearts out and finished fourth in the tournament. The Eagles certainly made a remarkable impression in program history, making it to the tournament for the first time and reaching the semifinals.
The first game of the morning was a fierce battle between CIU and Spring Hill College. Four of the five matches went to three sets and they could have gone to any team. Fair and Bernson lost the first set, came back to win the second and challenged the Badgers, which could not be turned into an easy third set. Ryan and Ostoji lost the first two points, and the second set was in favor of the Eagles as SHC made some inescapable changes in the last two sets. In the third slot, Evans and Smith are the other pair to win two sets.
After losing to Spring Hill College, the Eagles moved on to play for third place against the University of Tampa (FL). CUI played this team yesterday and were able to make some changes in their game play in the hopes of winning. Fair and Bernson used Friday’s game to their advantage, leading to a win in the first slot of three. Both flights two and three won the first set and lost the next two. Bush and Carrie dominated without allowing the Spartans to score more than 12 points.
Spring Hill College (AL) 3, Concordia University Irwin 2
- Cassandra Fairley / Jesse Fairley (SHC) Def. Hannah Fair/Vanessa Bernson (CII) 14-21, 21-16, 18-16
- Hailey Ryan/Sarah Ostogic (CUI) def. Michael Boyer / Natalie Bonner (SCH) 20-22, 21-12, 15-8
- Shannon Evans/Tatum Smith (CUI) def. Leon Sorrell / Kyla Snapple (SHC) 21-17, 21-16
- Brooke Borgmeier / Linea Beger (SHC) Def. Isabella Bush/Ellie Carrie (CII) 18-21, 21-16, 18-16
- Brillie Becker / Emily Weinsappel (SHC) Def. Eva Pvt/Nicole Miller (CII) 17-21, 21-13, 15-12
Concordia University Irwin 2, University of Tampa (FL) 3
- Hannah Fair/Vanessa Bernson (CUI) Kirsten Anderson / Maddie Brunik (UT) 21-18, 15-21, 15-11
- Julia Oswald / Peyton Brunick (UT) Def. Hailey Ryan/Sarah Ostogic (CII) 14-21, 21-16, 15-9
- Katie McKiel / Melissa Elias (UT) def. Shannon Evans/Tatum Smith (CII) 19-21, 21-19, 16-14
- Isabella Bush/Ellie Carrie (Arc) def. Gia Marinelli / Rachel Rosequist (UT) 21-11, 21-12
- Cassidy Ehrie / Valerie Rosequist (UT) vs. Lauren Clifton/Nicole Miller (CII) 21-10, 21-16
The CUI 22-6 program ended the season with the best record in history, losing just one of 11 games at home.
Click to see full CUI beach volleyball schedule Here.