April 16 – Tearful testimonies and words of support were exchanged at a warning rally on fentanyl poisoning held Thursday in Hunt County District Court.
The event, titled “Don’t Cheyenne, It’s Not a SMALL PROBLEM,” was held on the one-year anniversary of the death of Cheyenne Little of Greenville, who died of fentanyl poisoning at the age of 26.
“It’s amazing to see you all here and when I look at your face, I see Cheyenne because many of you have been a part of Cheyenne’s life and it’s a world for me,” said Cheyenne’s mother, Misty Greer-Little. that he addressed a crowd of more than 150 people.
On April 14, 2021, Cheyenne was given a pill that was supposed to be hydrocodone, but was actually fentanyl.
At Thursday’s event, guest Stephanie Helster told a similar story to Greer-Little. Helster lost his son Kyle Sexton in 2020. When Helstern spoke, he highlighted the difference between “overdose” and “poisoning”.
“A lot of people use the word overeating, but what is overeating? The big deal is that you’re overeating. No, my son is poisoned,” Helstern said. “She thought she was eating something else (Perkoset) and was tricked. Instead, we call it fentanyl poisoning. That’s the way Cheyenne got lost.”
“We’re trying to inform the media and I had a conversation with Governor (Greg) Abbott last month and he’s still talking about it, so we’re changing the text to remove the stigma,” Helstern said.
Several speakers at the event also warned that young people are being targeted by dealers through social media sites such as Snapchat, and that various emojis (internet icons) are sometimes used as symbols.
“These dealers sell medicine to our children and the child only needs a phone and $ 20 and the medicine is delivered to them like pizza,” Greer-Little said.
Another thing that speakers at the event preached was the warning about NARCAN (Naloxone), an emergency drug in the form of a nasal spray that is used to combat breathing problems after excessive doses of opium.
“You have to keep this (NARCAN) in your medical office. You have to keep it in your wallet,” Helstern said, recalling incidents in which law enforcement officers fainted while providing assistance from accidental exposure to fentanyl. large amounts of NARCAN when transported to the hospital.
The event was organized by 3FP (Fiercely Fighting Fentanyl Poisoning), a group founded by Greer-Little to help the public about the dangers of illegally produced fentanyl. The meeting was marked by a statement read out by Hunt County Judge Bobby Stowall.
In the near future, 3FP plans to hold a panel discussion on this topic.